With rumours flying around about Sydney’s Wonderland being rebuilt and wild speculation about a possible Disney Park, I thought it would be a good idea to feature the wonderful theme parks, big and small, already open to visit. I have only chosen parks with rides, an article on waterparks to follow!
Magic Mountain: Merimbula, NSW. Opened 1983
A fun little park for the whole family. A much loved attraction for locals and tourists alike.
• Notable Thrill rides: Diamond Python Roller Coaster, Toboggan
• Notable Children’s rides: Toddler Town
• Notable Attractions: Water Park, Pools, Triassic Park, Tree Climb Challenge.
Warner Bros Movie World: Oxenford QLD. Opened 1991
I grew up visiting the QLD parks. My favourite ride here is the Scooby Doo spooky coaster, a really fun dark wild mouse ride! Movie world is also the source of many of my super hero t-shirts.
• Areas: DC Comics superhero hub, Main Street, Wild West, Kids’ WB Fun Zone
• Notable Thrill Rides: The Scooby Doo spooky coaster, The Wild West Falls Adventure Ride, Superman Escape (0-100km/hour in 2 seconds), The Green Lantern coaster (steepest drop in the southern Hemisphere, 2nd steepest in the world)
• Notable Children’s rides: Road Runner Rollercoaster, Yosemite Sam’s Railroad
• Notable Shows: Hollywood Stunt Driver 2, Main Street Parade
Seaworld: Gold Coast QLD. Opened 1971 (in current location)
The first ever theme park I visited. Even though there are not many coasters, the animal shows and enclosures are worth the trip themselves. A lot of fun for the younger members of the family.
• Areas: Nickelodeon Land, Castaway Bay
• Notable Thrill Rides: Viking’s Revenge Flume Ride (Opened 1978), Jet Rescue, Storm Coaster
• Notable Children’s rides: Donatello’s Ninja Flyers, SpongeBob’s Boating School Blast, Battle Boats
• Notable Shows: Fish Detectives (Seals), Affinity (Dolphins), Jet Stunt Extreme (jet skis)
• Notable Attractions: Polar Bear Shores, Penguin Point, Shark Bay, Seal Harbour
DreamWorld: Coomera QLD. Opened 1981
The biggest theme park in Australia, with the biggest range of rides. I love the new Dreamworks area! Definitely a whole day out.
• Areas: Main Street, Town of Gold Rush, Rocky Hollow, Dreamworld Corroboree, Wiggles World, Rivertown, Tiger Island, Dreamworks Experience, Ocean Parade, ABC Kids
• Notable Thrill Rides: Thunder River Rapids Ride (the only rapids ride in Australia), Rocky Hollow Log ride, BuzzSaw (Tallest inversion in the Southern hemisphere, 3rd tallest in the world), The Giant Drop (Tallest drop ride in the world until 2012), Hot Wheels Sidewinder (formerly Cyclone)
• Notable Children’s Rides: Avis Vintage Cars, Escape from Madagascar, Dronkey Flyers
• Notable Shows: Sheep Shearing show, King Julien’s Theatre in the Wild
• Notable Attractions: Tiger Island
Aussie World: Palmview Qld. Opened 1989
I used to stop here on holidays as a child, back when there were only a couple rides. The Ettamogah Pub is great fun, and Aussie World is advertised as a family friendly place, with shorter wait times for rides then the other QLD parks.
• Areas: Ettamogah Pub, Retail Village, Park
• Notable Thrill Rides: The Plunge, Redback, Wild Mouse Coaster
• Notable Children’s Rides: Bug Run, Booma Zooma, Tin Lids Tea Party
• Notable Attractions: Professor Bogglesworth’s Illusionarium
Luna Park Sydney: Milsons Point Sydney. Originally opened 1935, Multiple openings and closures- Currently opened from 2004
A great little park with stunning views of Sydney Harbour. I love the old Wild Mouse! The Rotor, not so much.
• Areas: The Face, Midway, Crystal Palace, Big Top, Coney Island, Maloney’s Corner
• Notable Thrill Rides: Rotor, Wild mouse ( the original Wild Mouse from 1962), TumbleBug (only one of its type in Australia), Spider, Hair Raiser
• Notable Children’s Rides: Magic Castle, Space Shuttle, Ferris Wheel
• Notable Attractions: Coney Island Fun house
Luna Park Melbourne: St Kilda, Melbourne. Opened 1912, some closures
The oldest still operating park in Australia. Worth a visit for historical value and a ride on the Scenic Railway Coaster!
• Notable Thrill Rides: Scenic Railway (Built 1911, Oldest continually operating roller coaster in the world), Pharaoh’s Curse, The Ghost Train
• Notable Children’s Rides: Silly Serpent coaster, Red Baron
Adventure World: Bilbra Lake, Perth. Opened 1982
This park is pushing the innovation of roller coasters in Australia with the construction of Abyss, which is lauded for its design, air time and smooth ride.
• Areas: Dragon’s Kingdom, Waterpark
• Notable Thrill Rides: Abyss (features a beyond 90 Degree drop and multiple inversions), Rampage, Black Widow
• Notable Children’s Rides: Dragon Express, Rail Rider, The Barnacle
• Notable Attractions: Water Park